Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Cooked chicken or turkey may be used for this recipe.
Top Review by lallypopgirl
Yummy!! I made this using what I had in leftover chicken. I only substituted red pepper flakes and a little extra garlic and butter to original recipe. Made generous amount and perfect to divide into portions to take for lunch at work. Reheated well too. I always look for recipes that Kittencal submits; they're always good!! Thanks for sharing great recipe to use with holiday leftover turkey or chicken!!
- 1 (16 ounce) package vermicelli, uncooked
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken or 3 cups turkey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup canned corn kernel (can use a little more)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente; drain but do not rinse.
- Place the cooked pasta in a bowl then toss with 1-2 tablespoons oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add in mushrooms with onion, bell pepper and celery; saute stirring for about 7 minutes or until veggies are tender, adding in the garlic and cayenne pepper (if using) the last few minutes of cooking.
- Add in chicken, Velveeta cheese, diced tomatoes and corn; reduce heat to low and stir until the cheese has melted and ingredients are well combined.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss to combine well.
- Transfer and spread into prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combined the dry breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Drizzle melted butter on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degree F for about 20-22 minutes or until bubbly.