Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Italian pork sausages can be used in place of turkey sausages, or use my Seasoning for Ground Pork (Italian-Style Sausage) in place of sausages. The jalapeno is optional add in for more heat, this is a delicious casserole!
- 1 (1 lb) packageuncooked ziti pasta
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey sausage (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the ziti pasta in salted boiling water until just al dente (do not overcook the pasta as it will cook more in the oven) drain, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Remove the casings from the sausage.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the sausage, onion, garlic, chili flakes and jalapeno (if using) saute until meat is browned, stirring to crumble the meat with a spoon.
- Add in tomato paste and diced tomatoes with the juice; bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked pasta with the sausage/tomato mixture and chopped basil.
- Place half of the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with half of the mozzarella cheese, then half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers ending up with the Parmesan on top.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Flavor wonderful, but a bit too dry. I will try again, but will use a jar of char-broiled tomato sauce and a can of the diced tomatoes for a more clingy but not overwhelming contribution of tomatoes. Easy to assemble. I prepared the sausage; put the water on for the pasta; by the time the veggies were chopped and cooked with the sausage the pasta was done.
Wonderful dish! I also used Italian sausages, but only about 1 pound. Didn't use jalapeno and didn't have pepper flakes, so I used about 1 tsp chili powder. Also used dried basil and cheddar cheese. It takes a bit longer to make, so would probably make on a weekend next time. Thanks Kit!
Great recipe I used Italian sausages and it was an excellent meal. We will certainly be eating and enjoying this dish again.