Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Baked, breaded tofu topped with spaghetti sauce and cheese! What a great way to get kids to try tofu. We eat tofu regularly so I'm always on the lookout for new ways to prepare it. This recipe was published in the Toronto Star who attributes it to the Hamilton Spectator.
- 354.88 ml spaghetti sauce, divided
- 78.07 ml dried breadcrumbs (plain or Italian style)
- 78.07 ml finely grated parmesan cheese
- 396.89 g firm tofu (1 block) or 396.89 g extra firm tofu, drained (1 block)
- 236.59 ml shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or 236.59 ml regular mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce evenly around bottom of dish.
- On a plate, combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Slice tofu in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into thirds.
- Cut each piece lengthwise again into halves to create 12 sticks.
- Coat each stick in crumb/cheese mixture, and place in baking dish.
- Cover the sticks with remaining spaghetti sauce and top with mozzarella. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
I tried this recipe earlier today. Definitely very easy to prepare and a short time in the oven. As the previous reviewer stated, it needs some extra care to be better. The breadcrumbs did not stick to the tofu at all. This is the first time I worked with tofu, so will need to learn a bit more.
I used a fra diavolo sauce, which helped spice things up a bit, but I would probably go for a few more additives to do this dish some justice next time.
This was easy and good. Could use some dressing up a bit for adults (herbs, garlic, etc.) but for kids it's perfect. My BF and I (we're both adults:)) enjoyed it though. I suspected the breadcrumbs would not adhere to the tofu, and I was right. That was okay though, since I like the texture of the sauce and breadcrumbs. Nice and easy recipe! Good for South Beach dieters too. Thank you Dreamer!