Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Baked, breaded tofu topped with spaghetti sauce and cheese! What a great way to get kids to try tofu. We eat tofu regularly so I'm always on the lookout for new ways to prepare it. This recipe was published in the Toronto Star who attributes it to the Hamilton Spectator.
Top Review by bljjc
I tried this recipe earlier today. Definitely very easy to prepare and a short time in the oven. As the previous reviewer stated, it needs some extra care to be better. The breadcrumbs did not stick to the tofu at all. This is the first time I worked with tofu, so will need to learn a bit more.
I used a fra diavolo sauce, which helped spice things up a bit, but I would probably go for a few more additives to do this dish some justice next time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1⁄3 cup dried breadcrumbs (plain or Italian style)
- 1⁄3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 14 ounces firm tofu (1 block) or 14 ounces extra firm tofu, drained (1 block)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or 1 cup regular mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce evenly around bottom of dish.
- On a plate, combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Slice tofu in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into thirds.
- Cut each piece lengthwise again into halves to create 12 sticks.
- Coat each stick in crumb/cheese mixture, and place in baking dish.
- Cover the sticks with remaining spaghetti sauce and top with mozzarella. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.