1/1 Photo of Cheesy Tater-Topped Chili
I saw this prepared on Rachael Ray's television show and it looked so good. It looks like a true comfort meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- cinnamon, pinch
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle stout beer (could just use extra beef stock or beef broth)
- 1 -1 1/2 cup beef stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 7 scallions, white parts finely sliced (use tender green parts for garnish)
- 1 -1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1In a large pot, boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender.
- 2While the potatoes are coming up to a boil, preheat a deep skillet or wide, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the olive oil and ground beef and crumble up the meat as it cooks, using the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher, for about 8 minutes, until brown and caramelized.
- 4Add the onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cinnamon, salt and tomato paste to the meat and cook another 5 minutes.
- 5Add the beer and stock, and stir to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 6Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until thickened.
- 7Season the chili with salt to your taste.
- 8Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain and return them back to the same pot.
- 9Place the potatoes back over the heat, shaking them around a bit to dry them out.
- 10Add the butter and the whites of the scallions to the potatoes, and sauté the scallions 1-2 minutes, until tender.
- 11Remove the potatoes from the heat then add in the milk, egg yolks, salt and ground black pepper. Mash them up with the potatoes masher.
- 12Fold the cheese into the potatoes and allow it to melt.
- 13At this point the chili should be ready to be poured into a casserole dish and topped with the cheesy scallion potatoes.
- 14Place the chili tater-topped casserole into the oven and brown the top, about 2-3 minutes.
- 15Garnish with the reserved green scallion tops and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Tater-Topped Chili
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1099.2
- Calories from Fat 539
- Total Fat 59.9 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 261.8 mg
- Sodium 737.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 59.7 g