Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can add in some cooked crumbled bacon also if desired. This is very good and can be doubled if desired.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes (cut into thin 1/8-inch slices)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 green onions, chopped (or to taste)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or use ground red pepper)
- 2 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 3⁄4 cup full-fat milk (or use half and half 10% cream)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 2 cups swiss cheese (or to taste) or 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish (or use an oval baking dish).
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat; add in the green onions, red bell pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper, cook stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add in whipping cream and milk; mix to combine and season with seasoned salt or white salt and black pepper.
- Add in the uncooked potato slices; bring to a boil, stirring gently for about 10-15 minutes or until the potato slices are just fork-tender (do not overcook the potato slices as they will cook more in the oven).
- Carefully spoon the mixture to prepared baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- With a spoon mix the Parmesan cheese gently into the top part of the cream sauce (you do not have to mix in the cheese completely).
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the Swiss cheese, return to oven to another 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.