Recipe by English_Rose
A hearty Alpine-style bake with rich cheese and smoky bacon – ideal after a day on the slopes…or just a walk round the park
Top Review by Manami
Hello English_Rose, this is wonderful and so tasty! Some of the resident's enjoyed it,so I wondered about making this recipe with cauliflower florets and voila - we made it! The only thing we substituted was the cauliflower for the potatoes. We, also added some parsely the last few minutes for a garnish. Thanks so much for posting, hugz, Manami :)
- 2 lbs floury potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 ounces smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces gruyere, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F
- In a large pan, boil the potatoes for 5 mins, then drain and tip into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently fry the onion until soft. Add the bacon and cook for a further 5 minutes Mix the bacon and onion with the potatoes in the bowl.
- Stir in the wine, cream, most of the cheese and a little paprika.
- Season and mix together, then spread over a large (12in long x 2in deep) buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, cover with foil and cook for 25 minutes Remove the foil, sprinkle a little more paprika over the top and cook for a further 20 mins until the cheese is golden brown.