Recipe by MarieRynr
This is comfort food at its very best. Lovely, meaty, orange fleshed sweet potatoes combined with beautiful, earthy, cauliflower florets, all encased in a rich cheese sauce, crusty bits of grilled cheese gilding the top--what’s not to like!
Top Review by Patchwork Dragon
Like all your recipes Marie, this was delicious. I didn't follow your exact measurements, as I was only making it for 2, so I just eyeballed the amounts, and made a half recipe of the cheese sauce. Thanks for another lovely meal! :o)
- 2 large orange fleshed sweet potatoes
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 1 1⁄4 pints milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a hot oven until tender. Set aside to cool for a few minutes. Put the cauliflower into a microwavable bowl, add a few TBS of water, cover with cling film and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes on high. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the cheese sauce as below. Preheat your grill.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges and lay them in the bottom of a greased oven proof dish. Drain the cauliflower and spoon it over the sweet potatoes. Spoon the hot cheese sauce over top (you may not need it all). Sprinkle with the grated cheese and the snipped chives. Grill for three to four minutes until golden and bubbling. Enjoy!
- To make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour, stirring until smooth. Let cook over low heat for one minute to cook the flour then slowly stir in the milk, whisking until smooth. Add the bay leaf and cook over medium low heat, stirring, for about 10 minutes until thickened. Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the cheese and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.