Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This pie is outrageously delicious! no pastry crust to make for this just use crushed Ritz crackers, this pie is perfect for potlucks or to serve with a main meal, might I suggest to make two, you just might eat one pie yourself lol! If possible use Vidalia onions for this, when I made this pie, I topped it with crumbled bacon, but that is optional. Of coarse fresh sauteed mushroom are better, but canned will do, you can also make this using regular onions in place of sweet onions, just add in a couple teaspoons of sugar when sauteeing them to. Throw in some cooked Italian sausage too...YUMMMMMMM!
Top Review by Loudor
living in Costa Rica, my favorite word on my computer is substitute. Half and half not available here so I used Whipping cream. Ritz crackers not found so I used what looked to be the same Costa Rica cracker under a different name. I found this excellent, and I have moved it from my side dish book to my main book. I had company, added cubed ham on top (wish it could have been italian sausage, but none to be found in Costa Rica) and you have a wonderful main dish. Considering my company loves onions and mushrooms. I'll be making this again, now if I could only find some fresh mushrooms. Yummm.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed Ritz cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced (or 3 medium, sliced)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (VERY well drained, squeeze out moisture with hands)
- 3⁄4 cup half and half milk (or use full-fat milk, do not use low-fat or nonfat milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper (optional to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup grated gruyere (or to taste) or 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (or as much as desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8-inch glass pie plate.
- For the crust mix together the crushed Ritz cracker crumbs with 4 tablespoons softened and a pinch of cayenne pepper; mix to combine.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom and about 1-inch up sides of the pie plate.
- Bake for about 5 minutes.
- For the filling:.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in sliced onions and saute for about 10-12 minutes.
- Arrange the onions over the crust.
- Sprinkle the drained mushrooms over the onions.
- In a bowl whisk together the half and half cream with eggs, seasoning salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Pour the egg mixture over the onions and mushroooms, then sprinkle the cheese over the filling.
- Sprinkle with paprika (I sprinkled bacon over in the paprika).
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the pie comes out clean.