Recipe by **Jubes**
Serve as a side or with a light salad. This recipe will be gluten-free if you use a gluten-free stock. As a variation -This can also be made in a 24cm square tin and then lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Cut into squares and warm either using a BBQ, frypan or using a health grill to brown. Please note that cooking time does not include chill time
Top Review by JustJanS
We quite enjoyed this but it hasn't fully converted us to polenta. I used rice flour and found most of the delicious crusty bits ended up in the pan (a bit of a bonus for the cook!) but did manage a few nicer looking sides for a photo. I would recommend making sure you have aboslutely everything ready to go for step 3 as polenta sets very fast-something I remembered as I was stirring and trying to chop olives and tomatoes and grate and crumble cheese. I stirred my polenta about 25 minutes until it was super smooth. Served with a simple tomato and onion sauce.
- 1 liter vegetable stock (I use Massell brand that is gluten-free and vegan)
- 1 cup polenta (not the instant polenta)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped roughly
- 1⁄3 cup seeded black olives, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup drained sun-dried tomato, chopped finely
- plain flour or finely ground rice flour
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying or cooking spray, for grilling
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a round sandwich (sponge)cake pan.
- Using a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the polenta and reduce to a simmer. Stir constantly for about 10-15 minutes, or until the polenta is very thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, basil, olives and tomatoes.
- Press the polenta mixture firmly into the prepared tin. Smooth over the top. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until firm. this will be at least 2 hours.(This stage can be done a day ahead).
- Cut polenta into 16 wedges. Dust the wedges in flour (use either regular or gluten-free/rice flour)and shallow fry in a large frying pan, until browned and crisp on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper (or use a wire rack) before serving.
- Variation- use a larger tin - that will produce a flatter polenta cake. Cut into squares or wedges. Spray with a cooking oil spray and grill, BBQ or use a health grill.
- Should have 8 serves.