Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
My grandmother gave me this recipe years ago and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. Hope you will enjoy it!
- 6 squash
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Boil the squash 10 minutes until softened.
- When cooled enough to handle, remove the stems and cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove the pulp.
- Cook the bacon until crisp.
- Saute the onion in 2T bacon drippings.
- Add crumbled bacon, breadcrumbs and squash pulp.
- Fill the squash shells.
- Top each shell with cheese.
- Broil until melted.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
really was excellent and easy too!
when i make this -- which i will -- i'll cut the squash in half lengthwise and roast for about 15-20 min. at 350 F instead of boiling. i'll also use smoked paprika, which will be mixed into the filling.
I'm not normally a squash lover, but these were delicious! Loved the filling so much, bacon makes everything better! I couldn't find a properly yellow summer squash in any supermarket near me, so mine were kind of green/yellow, but they still tasted fantastic!