1 hr 5 mins
Prebaking the mushrooms to extract the moisture in them is a critical step, don't stuff the mushrooms before baking them firstly! Although this recipe will make about 18-20 large stuffed mushrooms, I strongly suggest to double the amounts, you will be eating half of them just yourself, they are THAT good! These are still really good without adding the mozzeralla cheese on top, but I think they are even better with the cheese, you can even sprinkle with Parmesan cheese in place of the mozza cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices sandwich bread (crusts removed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 20 large white button mushrooms (about 2-1/2 inches in diameter)
- 3 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 1Pulse the fresh bread in a food processor, then transfer to a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, salt and pepper (I use about 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt or white salt).
- 2Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake until golden (about 6-8 minutes) transfer to a bowl.
- 3Carefully remove the stems from the mushroom caps and finely chop.
- 4Lay the mushroom caps stemmed side down on a lightly greased baking sheet (set oven rack to second-lowest position or middle rack for this) bake for about 12 minutes at 375 degrees.
- 5White the caps are baking, melt about 3 tablespoon butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Saute the chopped stems, stirring until golden (about 5-6 minutes).
- 7Add in onion, celery, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper; saute stirring occasionally until the onion is golden (about 5 minutes) cool veggies slightly, then add in the bread crumb mixture with Parmesan, asiago and chopped parsley; toss well to combine.
- 8Remove the caps from the oven, turn over, then spoon the filling into the caps pressing gently (there might be some filling left over).
- 9Bake second-lowest rack or middle oven at 375 degrees or until tender and the stuffing is golden brown (about 20-22 minutes).
- 10Remove from oven and sprinkle the caps with grated mozzeralla cheese, return to oven (or broil) for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.0
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 95.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: