Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was excellent - my children loved it - here is an added hint - my kids hate mushrooms; I'm not that crazy about them either. So I took my food chopper and chopped them to tiny pieces - the kids ate the meat loaf and never knew there were even mushrooms in it! To me I thought this kind of tasted like a Hot Italian Sausage.
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 1 green pepper, diced fine
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups Italian cheese (Mozzarella & Parmesan)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pizza sauce (I use Mid's)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 15 x 10 x 1” cookie sheet with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, stir in ground beef, breadcrumbs, cheese, seasonings and ¾ Cup pizza sauce.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place meat mixture on foil and shape into a 12x10” rectangle.
- Sprinkle onions, peppers, mushrooms and cheese over top of meat mixture – this will resemble a pizza.
- Starting at the 10” side, roll up – jellyroll style.
- It helps to roll with the foil – then peel it away.
- In a deep casserole dish, line it with foil, I even went up the sides.
- Due to the cheese this makes for easy clean up!
- Place meat loaf seam side down on foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; spoon the remaining pizza sauce over the loaf.
- Return to oven and bake 20 – 30 minutes or until loaf is thoroughly cooked in center.
- Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
A very good recipe. I added some fresh cilantro and green onions and instead of breadcrumbs, I used homemade cracker crumbs (# 118879). The result was amazing. It is now the 2nd favorite dish in my house. Thanks for sharing it.