Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yummy way to use chicken breasts. For more of a Mexican taste, you can also put some sliced jalapenos in with the cheese. The prep time also includes the 1 hour chill time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese (your choice of cheese, I like Cheddar Jack)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- Pound chicken breasts until they are about 1/8" thick.
- Place 1/3 cup cheese in center of chicken, then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp.
- Fold the sides over to seal in the cheese, then roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Combine cornmeal and chili powder in a shallow dish or plate; place the flour on another plate.
- Beat the eggs slightly and place in another shallow dish.
- Lightly coat the chicken rolls with flour, dip in the egg, then in the cornmeal.
- Chill for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the chicken rolls in a large skillet in the cooking oil until they are a light golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, then place in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
I made this recipe for "Pick Your Chef" game. I chose to use Gruyere cheese,and the oregano was over powering.I think with the Gruyere,basil would have worked better. This recipe will go to my make again file.Thanks Lori for sharing.