Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
There are so many casseroles with bell peppers in it, this has the ingredients IN the bell pepper. A great light dinner, or an appetizer.
- 6 green bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes, divided
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut off portion of tops of bell pepper, and remove seeds, and membranes.
- Place in roaster with salted water and boil.
- Cook 10 minutes so they will be only partially done.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet,, brown ground beef and onion and drain. Add rice,egg, 1 can tomatoes, worcestershire and seasonings, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 1 cup cheese and mix well.
- Stuff peppers with mixture and set upright in buttered, round baking dish(you may have to trim little slivers off bottoms of peppers so they will sit upright.).
- Pour remaining can of tomatoes over top and around peppers.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on top and return to oven for 10 minutes.
Loved it! This is one of my favorite meals. I made exactly as stated. The flavor is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.
Delicous! Only changes I made were to skip the par-boiling (but cooked 5 minutes longer) because I like a bit of extra cripsness to vegies and added an extra dash of Worcestershire and garlic powder to suit personal taste. Great blend of flavors and the rice and beef bulked it up well so it's a very tasty and satisfying dish that made a great meal in itself.
This was my first time making stuffed peppers. The only change I made was to use variety of peppers (green, red, orange and yellow). Recipe was quick and easy. They were very flavorful. The whole family really enjoyed them and asked me to make again.