Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ok, I was dying for Mac and cheese, and could not find a recipe for what I had on hand. So I created this with what I had on hand. I wanted it in a hurry so stove top it is.
- Start cooking the macaroni while you prepare the sauce to save time.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Whisk in flour.
- On medium-high heat, whisk in milk a little at a time.
- Continue to whisk til thick and bubbly.
- Do not allow to burn, turn down heat if sauce is cooking to fast to keep from burning.
- Whisk in mustard, salt and pepper.
- Reduce to medium heat, stir in cheeses.
- When melted and blended pour over cooked and drained macaroni.
- Taste, add more salt if needed.
- Mix and cook 1 or 2 minutes on medium heat.
This was quick and easy to make but it wasn't to my families liking. We ate it but wont be making it again. I didn't care for the blend of cheeses. I also thought it was too thick and floury.
I loved the rich, cheesy taste of the three cheeses. The recipe was very quick and easy to make, which is a nice bonus - almost as easy as the box stuff when you use pre-shredded cheese. Next time I will use 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp flour with the 2 cups of milk. This will cut back a little on the fat, and we thought it was just a bit too thick and floury. I believe this adjustment will be just right. Thanks for sharing.