Recipe by Seasoned Cook
Cheesy squash casserole with crunchy top!! Full of flavor and is a wonderful side dish with any meal. A good Southern dish! I received this recipe from my Aunt Sally who was a great cook!!
Top Review by Kaitlin B.
This casserole was so good that even I enjoyed it, despite disliking squash. I tweaked it a little bit to use what I had on hand (chopped scallions instead of regular onions, added some crushed french fried onions to the squash mixture and the cracker crumbs, just made it one thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet, added some extra cheese on top), and it was so good that the woman I worked for couldn't stop raving about it. If you want to get even a picky kid (I usually eat like one) to eat some squash, try this recipe.
- 6 medium yellow squash, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove ends of squash and discard. Chop or cut squash into small fine pieces. Add salt to water and boil squash and onion until tender for approximately 15 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium size bowl, mix cheese with squash mixture. Beat eggs and stir into milk. Add to squash mixture.
- Pour one-half of squash mixture into a 2 quart casserole baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs over and pour 1/2 of melted butter. Pour remaining squash mixture and repeat with remaining crumbs and melted butter on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.