Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is lovely as a side for almost anything. Very low-fat. Points 1.
- 2 lbs yellow squash, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 ounces shredded sharp low-fat cheddar cheese (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Steam squash and onion in the microwave with a little water, covered, 12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add flour; cook until mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in squash-onion mixture.
- Spoon squash mixture into a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole, coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Delicious! It's my favorite squash casserole recipe - creamy and delicious!
this was really tasty. served with fish.