Recipe by LMillerRN
Although it’s called a bread, this cheesy egg-and-corn meal puff is really a side dish. It will captivate anyone who tries a spoonful.
- 3⁄4 cup dry nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine dry milk and corn meal in large saucepan. Stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, egg yolks, margarine, and baking powder.
- Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into corn meal mixture lightly but thoroughly. Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden and filling is set. Serve warm.