Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are a spinach lover you will really enjoy these, I like to add on some shredded cheese on top after baking but that is only optional.
Top Review by Chef Smiley7
These are wonderful! I didn't add extra butter to the top, I just used what rose to the top. I did leave out the cayenne pepper and used 1/2 the black pepper so my kids would eat it, but I wish I could have put them in since I love spicy. I would make these again and I think they would make a great potluck item.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 2 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, well drained, squeeze out any excess moisture with hands
- 2 -3 tablespoons melted butter
- grated parmesan cheese (any amount desired)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or 1 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Place the butter in the prepared baking dish, and melt in the oven; remove pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs thoroughly.
- Blend in flour, half and half, cayenne, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese seasoning salt, black pepper and baking powder.
- Add in 2-1/2 cups grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese, green onion and spinach; mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into baking dish on top of the melted butter, and level off.
- Drizzle the top with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven, and cool for 40-45 minutes.
- If desired you may sprinkle about 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese immediately after baking.
- Cut into squares.
- Note: these squares freeze very well.