Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Loved these! Substitute cottage cheese for the ricotta cheese, & grated Romano cheese for the Parmesan, if you choose. It is possible to substitute frozen, chopped broccoli for spinach. Found in Kraft's Food & Family.
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 -4 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces cooked manicotti, well drained (14 shells)
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 5 minute on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites lightly in medium bowl.
- Add mushroom mixture, spinach, ricotta cheese and half each of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; mix well.
- Check for seasoning.
- Spoon evenly into manicotti shells.
- Place in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover with spaghetti sauce.
- BAKE 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; continue baking 5 minute or until mozzarella cheese is melted.
Very good! I actually forgot to put the egg whites in the mixture, but it still turned out great. I will definitely try it again with the egg whites...maybe that'll make it even better.
This manicotti was very easy to prepare and everyone enjoyed it! I served it with Herbed Garlic Bread and used Granny M's Spaghetti Sauce as the sauce. Our 6 year old loved the filling which surprised me since the spinach was so visible.... but he loved it and even had seconds!!! Thank you DiScharf for a splendid dinner! My Three Chefs 2008.