Recipe by j-jitterbug
The Moosewood cookbook inspired this recipe, from their Spinach-Rice Casserole. They make a larger dish, and use nutmeg, which I omitted. You could leave out the parsley too.
Top Review by lauralie41
I really enjoyed this casserole a lot. Didnt have tamari sauce so substituted low salt soy sauce, added dried parsley and increased the cheddar cheese to one cup. Served a salad along side and enjoyed a tasty dinner. Thank you j-jitterbug for posting this recipe. Made and reviewed for the Secret Ingredient tag game.
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon tamari, a soy sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Follow package directions to make 2 cups cooked brown rice.
- Over medium heat, cook garlic and onions with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until soft.
- Add spinach, saute for 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease casserole dish with remaining butter.
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat and add contents of skillet, eggs, milk, cheese, parsley, tamari, salt and cayenne.
- Pour into casserole pan and spread evenly.
- Dust with paprika.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.