Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this from our CSA farm: Springdale Farms. It's from the Asparagus to Zucchini Cookbook. Made this with swiss chard instead of spinach (tastes the same) and doubled the rice, baking in a 2.5 liter Corning Ware dish. I adjusted the recipe a bit.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant minced onion or 1 small onion, chopped and sauted
- salt and pepper
- 6 -8 cups fresh spinach, chopped and steamed (one large bunch)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together.
- Separately mix the Spinach Mixture ingredients.
- Spread the ingredients from the first mixture in the bottom of a greased casserole.
- Spread the spinach mixture over them and bake at 350 degrees until firm, 45-60 minutes.
This turned out well. I chose to leave out the parmesan cheese as I felt the flavor would be lost in the dish. I also used egg substitute to save some calories. I made rice especially for this dish, but I can see where leftover rice would come in handy. Unfortunately I didn't have brown rice, but it still came out tasty. I also used onion powder instead of chopping an onion. I will be making this again--thanks for posting.
Delicious. I used organic free range eggs, white basmati rice which was good, but I know brown would be delicious, no optional Parmesan as I didn't have it on hand, 1 organic onion chopped and sauted in olive organic good tasting olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, local organic spinach from our weekly organic local produce basket, since I didn't have enough I chopped and sautéed some local organic zucchini which was good in this, instead of cottage cheese I used lebneh, which is like very thick yogurt (a Middle Eastern cream cheese), monserella as that's what I had on hand, plus the rest of the ingredients. Served with unhomoginised organic yogurt for those who wished and a fresh salad for a nice vegitarian meal!
Spinachy, cheesy goodness in a casserole! This was very good! I did use some egg beaters and fat-free cheddar cheese in place of their full-fat counterparts to reduce calories but this was still flavorful and cheesy! I used the parm and 1 small onion with a few green onions mixed in on the bottom layer. I used a 1.75qt oval casserole and baked for 55 minutes. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag game.