Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came from a low-fat Louisiana cookbook. It is delicious!!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 slices reduced-fat American cheese, diced
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain well.
- Coat a pan with no stick cooking spray and saute mushrooms until tender; set aside (keep drippings).
- Melt cheese in milk, over low heat.
- Put spinach in casserole dish.
- Sprinke with garlic powder.
- Add cheese mixture& salt& pepper, stir.
- Top with sauteed mushrooms& drippings.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
I made this recipe tonight. I made it "full-fat", with regular evaporated milk and American cheese slices. I also used canned, sliced mushrooms instead of fresh (what can I say, I needed to save some time). The recipe has good flavor and texture, is easy and quick to make. I used the microwave to precook my spinach. The only problem I had with the recipe is that the directions don't say when to add the evaporated milk. So I added it, a little at a time, as I melted the cheese. It seemed the right thing to do.
PaulaT, You are right about adding the milk to the cheese and melting it. That step has been corrected. Also, canned mushrooms are OK if you're in a pinch, but fresh mushrooms have a better flavor. I appreciate your rating! :)