Recipe by Paulette
This came from a low-fat Louisiana cookbook. It is delicious!!
Top Review by Recipewrestler
I made this recipe tonight. I made it "full-fat", with regular evaporated milk and American cheese slices. I also used canned, sliced mushrooms instead of fresh (what can I say, I needed to save some time). The recipe has good flavor and texture, is easy and quick to make. I used the microwave to precook my spinach. The only problem I had with the recipe is that the directions don't say when to add the evaporated milk. So I added it, a little at a time, as I melted the cheese. It seemed the right thing to do.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 slices reduced-fat American cheese, diced
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain well.
- Coat a pan with no stick cooking spray and saute mushrooms until tender; set aside (keep drippings).
- Melt cheese in milk, over low heat.
- Put spinach in casserole dish.
- Sprinke with garlic powder.
- Add cheese mixture& salt& pepper, stir.
- Top with sauteed mushrooms& drippings.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.