Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't let the list of ingredients scare you. This is a great recipe for just everyday, as well as for invited quests. A real comfort food. I just put boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a food processor, pulse until ground. Be very careful, the chicken can turn into a paste very quickly.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno peppers or 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 4 ounces ortega chilies, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a 12" skillet, heat oil over med. high heat. Add chicken, onion, jalapeño and garlic. Cook,stirring to break up meat until it is no longer pink and vegetables are softened.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes with juice, paste, 1 Cup broth, chilies, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook till rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn and continue cooking, covered, until beans and corn are heated.
- Just before serving, stir in cheese. If needed, stir in some more of the chicken broth.