Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
For all you Spam lovers, here's a dish that you are going to love, and boy does this have taste!
- 5 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, cubed
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 12" x 8" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread, milk, eggs, mustard, garlic powder and paprika.
- With electric mixer, beat at medium speed 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Stir in Spam, 1 cup cheddar cheese and chopped onion.
- Pour into prepared baking dish; bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes befrore serving.
I made this recipe years ago, after finding it in my little "Best Recipes:cooking with spam" paperback cookbook. I really liked it, but I'm a fan of spam anyway.
This was an easy and innovative way to use up that can of Spam in my pantry. Next time I will brown the Spam before putting it into the casserole and I think I'll use a tad less cheese on the top. I also used green onion and I think next time I'll use yellow onion to give it a more pronounced onion flavor.
I REALLY enjoyed this dish! It was very easy to put together. I didn't use a mixer, just a spoon and combined everything. I had larger pieces of bread so it ended up being a chunkier puff, which I really enjoyed. Everyone was a little unsure about it when they first saw it, but it was promptly devoured. It's great with a good squirt or two of ketchup on top as well! Thanks!