Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Prepare this dish in either the stove or the microwave - either way, your family will be asking for it again soon.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, classic diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cayenne pepper, dash
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb processed sharp American cheese, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In lightly-greased 2-quart casserole, combine SPAM® Classic with macaroni.
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Blend in flour, salt, mustard, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Stir in milk; cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens and boils. Add cheese; cook, stirring until cheese is melted. Pour over SPAM® Classic mixture; mix well.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; combine with bread crumbs and paprika. Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake in 400°F oven 20 to 25 minutes.
- Microwave directions: Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In 4-cup measure, stir together flour, salt, mustard, pepper and cayenne; slowly mix in milk until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon butter and cheese.
- Microwave 4 minutes. Stir until smooth; microwave 3 minutes more. Beat until smooth.
- Combine SPAM® and macaroni in casserole; mix sauce into macaroni.
- In 2-cup measure, combine 1 tablespoon butter, bread crumbs and paprika. Microwave 1 minute.
- Microwave casserole 3 minutes.
- Stir; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; microwave 2 minutes more.
- Cover and let stand 3 minutes.