Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Based on a recipe in Delicious magazine.
- 500 g spaghetti
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 g smooth ricotta cheese
- 300 ml light cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- plus extra parmesan cheese, to serve
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water as to packet instructions.
- Add peas to pasta for the last 2 minutes of cooking time, drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft then add the bacon and cook stirring until starting to crisp.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Drain off some of the fat.
- Add ricotta and cream to the mixture and stir over low heat until mixed together and warmed through.
- Remove from heat and add to the pasta with the grated parmesan and parsley. Toss to combine and season to taste.
- Serve with extra shaved parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
This is an easy, no bake casserole dish that is very tasty. I substituted fettuccine for the spaghetti (it's what I had in the pantry); the fettuccine seemed to better hold the sauce. The recipe as posted made four very generous servings which actually could be stretched to eight servings. Also, since the recipe is so rich, I used less parmesian cheese (3 oz) and ricotta cheese (6 oz). Like mac & cheese, this dish makes the grade as wonderful "comfort food".
A rich cheesy spaghetti dish that delivers on taste. We would personally add more bacon next time, but this recipe has the distinction of being the first ever pasta dish with a sauce of any kind that both our kids have ever eaten.. so WOW there is hope that fussy eaters can be persuaded. They are "seperate food" eaters and even ate the peas ! 5 stars instantly for this long overdue milestone in our house. Yes it is super rich and the cream punches up the calories, but for a change it's a delight. Please see my rating system: 5 excellent stars for a recipe we will be keeping near the top of the pile. Thanks!
This is really tasty and easy to put together. I added some halved cherry tomatoes and let them warm through before serving. Thanks for sharing Jules.