Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This casserole is so yummy, with the addition of all that cheese....how could you go wrong!(note: plan ahead, this casserole needs to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 clove fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (seasoned or plain)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup chopped scallions or 1⁄3 cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) package spaghetti, cooked and tossed with oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 -2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2-qt casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef with 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, (and garlic, if using); drain off any fat.
- Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper, cook and simmer over med-low heat for 25-30 mins; remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, onions and green pepper.
- Spread half of the cooked and drained spaghetti in prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with the cheese mixture.
- Add remaining spaghetti, and drizzle the melted butter on top.
- Spread the tomato/meat sauce over the top of the spaghetti.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours, or overnight, to blend the flavors.
- Remove from the fridge 20 mins before baking.
- Bake for 45 mins, or until hot and bubbly.
- If desired top with 1-2 cups grated mozzeralla cheese the last 15 mins of baking.
this was wonderful, very moist..reminded me of lasanga(is that spelled wrong? hehe)...I think it would be good with black olives and mushrooms also, but I made it exactly as directed..My family really enjoyed this, will be making again...strawberryjane
This was a good casserole. It was creamier than I expected, and not as cheesy as I had hoped, considering how much cheese is in it. I had it sit in the fridge overnight. I think next time I would add more spices to sauce (I just used plain tomato sauce) and use more garlic. I used 3 cloves, but found it was still not enough. The servings are HUGE, and I made it with a green salad. We had lots of leftovers for lunches.
I made a double quantity of this for my parents: by the time I'd added a few ingredients, this made a goodly quantity of meals to put in their freezer! Naturally, I sampled it before it was divided into meal-size containers for the freezer. Yummy! Loved the different cheeses: I used all low-fat cheeses (except for the Parmesan and mozzarella) and low fat sour cream because I’ve found there's no discernible loss of flavour. I used two red peppers and about three cups of mushrooms. And, of course, I used the (optional!) garlic: 6 cloves. I also halved the quantity of melted butter, again in an effort to lower the fat content. And I added a teaspoon of a blend of Greek herbs and spices. This is a very yummy, easy-to-make recipe, ideal for freezing. Thank you, KITTENCAL, for sharing another fabulously flavoursome recipe!