Recipe by MemphisMommy
Smoked paprika adds a nice distinct flavor to an otherwise run of the mill recipe. I also use more than a dash of garlic salt.... Double the recipe to use at a gathering as a side dish or for brunch- to serve 8 or so folks. Doubled will make a 9x 11 or 9X 13 sized dish. As written this recipe serves 4 as a side. I don't remember where I got the original from- I want to say it was a magazine....
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut up
- 1 dash garlic salt
- smoked paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan slowly stir grits into boiling water.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover pan , but stir every minute or so to reduce clumping. Cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese and garlic to cooked grits and stir until melted and combined.
- You could just serve this now as a side if you didn't want to wait BUT --
- To make them fantastic -- Pour grits into a greased baking dish , sized accordingly to how much you have made, sprinkle top with smoked paprika and put into a preheated 350 oven for 15-20 minutes.
- I like a slightly browned crust to mine and I like it to set up so 12-15 minutes works best for my taste -- Enjoy!