Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe sounds sooo good,even a vegetarian i tempted! lol. This will makea very nice meal 8)
- 6 cooked sausage links (German or Polish, approx. 1 1/2 LB's)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons German mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1 small green bell pepper (stemmed/seeded/diced)
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- Place the sausage in large skillet with 1/3 cup water.
- Boil over medium heat,cover,bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat,still covered,let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, and simmer until water evaporates,and sausage browns a little.
- While it cooks,in medium saucepan,combine sugar,mustard,caraway seeds& dill weed.
- Stir mixture,until blended.
- Add bell pepper& sauerkraut,stirring until combined.
- Over medium heat,covered,cook for 10 minutes,or until hot.
- Spoon the sauerkraut into microwavable 2-3 Qrt casserole.
- Sprinkle the swiss cheese over top.
- Add the sausage over it,cover.
- Microwave on high,for 30 seconds,or until the cheese has melted.
Very nice. I scaled back to serve two, but left the sauce amounts as is. :)
I took a couple of liberties - I cut the recipe back to one serving, used a smoked Portuguese very spicy sausage - It did not need ot be browned or simmered so I mixed the sauekraut, coarse grain German mustard, Caraway seed, Dill weed & brown sugar then placed this mixture in the bottom of a baking dish, placed the sausage on top covered with foil and baked in a 325 oven for almost 1 hour, opened the foil, place the cheese between the sausages and broiled for 5 minutes watching that the sausages did not burn, Wonderful flavor from he caraway/dill combination. Thanks Ocean Ivy for a very delicious dish
This was great! Rather than microwave, I just made it in the skillet. I cooked the sausage, then took it out for a minute, drained the sauerkraut and put all of the other ingredients in the bottom of the skillet, put the sausage back on top and covered it to heat for about 15 minutes. It turned out really good. Thanks!