Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe sounds sooo good,even a vegetarian i tempted! lol. This will makea very nice meal 8)
Make and share this Cheesy Smoked Sausage & Sauerkraut Casserole! recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cooked sausage links (German or Polish, approx. 1 1/2 LB's)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons German mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1 small green bell pepper (stemmed/seeded/diced)
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- Place the sausage in large skillet with 1/3 cup water.
- Boil over medium heat,cover,bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat,still covered,let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, and simmer until water evaporates,and sausage browns a little.
- While it cooks,in medium saucepan,combine sugar,mustard,caraway seeds& dill weed.
- Stir mixture,until blended.
- Add bell pepper& sauerkraut,stirring until combined.
- Over medium heat,covered,cook for 10 minutes,or until hot.
- Spoon the sauerkraut into microwavable 2-3 Qrt casserole.
- Sprinkle the swiss cheese over top.
- Add the sausage over it,cover.
- Microwave on high,for 30 seconds,or until the cheese has melted.
Very nice. I scaled back to serve two, but left the sauce amounts as is. :)
This was great! Rather than microwave, I just made it in the skillet. I cooked the sausage, then took it out for a minute, drained the sauerkraut and put all of the other ingredients in the bottom of the skillet, put the sausage back on top and covered it to heat for about 15 minutes. It turned out really good. Thanks!
This is delicious and so simple. Takes me back to when I was younger and my mom and grandma cooked with Sauerkraut all the time!