Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I also like this with mixed Mexican shredded cheeses (1/4 lb=4 oz=1 cup).
- 5 slices white bread or 5 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, shredded (2%-fat cheese works okay)
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Chop tomatoes and set in strainer to drain so not excessively juicy.
- Toast bread, remove crusts and cut into cubes; spread cubes over bottom of an 8 X 8-inch pan.
- In a bowl combine next 11 ingredients (shrimp through pepper); spoon over the toast cubes.
- Toss tomatoes with lime juice and oregano and scatter over shrimp.
- Bake at 350F 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes and serve.