Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Creamy cheesy delicious...cooked turkey or ham can be replaced for the chicken.
- 1 1⁄2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey
- 2 cups crushed butter flavored crackers (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the shells in a pot of boiling salted water until just al dente (leave the shells slightly undercooked) drain and place in a large bowl, toss with a tablespoon of butter to prevent sticking.
- In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoon butter; add in the green onions, bell pepper (if using) and basil, saute for about 7-8 minutes, adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Add in the flour and half and half cream, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in cream cheese; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Add in shredded cheddar and hot sauce; stir until the cheese has melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl with the cooked shells, add in the cooked chicken; toss to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with crushed crackers (if using).
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
I didn't use the green pepper, garlic, onion, or basil. but it was still alright. I liked the cracker topping. I'm not a huge fan of mac and cheese so I can't rave too much but my brother-in-law loved it, he ate a third of it by himself.