Creamy cheesy delicious...cooked turkey or ham can be replaced for the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken or 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey
- 2 cups crushed butter flavored crackers (optional)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 3Cook the shells in a pot of boiling salted water until just al dente (leave the shells slightly undercooked) drain and place in a large bowl, toss with a tablespoon of butter to prevent sticking.
- 4In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoon butter; add in the green onions, bell pepper (if using) and basil, saute for about 7-8 minutes, adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- 5Add in the flour and half and half cream, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
- 6Add in cream cheese; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- 7Add in shredded cheddar and hot sauce; stir until the cheese has melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- 8Pour the mixture into the bowl with the cooked shells, add in the cooked chicken; toss to combine.
- 9Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- 10Sprinkle with crushed crackers (if using).
- 11Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Shells With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 749.6
- Calories from Fat 462
- Total Fat 51.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.8 g
- Cholesterol 183.5 mg
- Sodium 541.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 34.4 g