Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Creamy cheesy delicious...cooked turkey or ham can be replaced for the chicken.
Make and share this Cheesy Shells With Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey
- 2 cups crushed butter flavored crackers (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the shells in a pot of boiling salted water until just al dente (leave the shells slightly undercooked) drain and place in a large bowl, toss with a tablespoon of butter to prevent sticking.
- In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoon butter; add in the green onions, bell pepper (if using) and basil, saute for about 7-8 minutes, adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Add in the flour and half and half cream, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in cream cheese; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Add in shredded cheddar and hot sauce; stir until the cheese has melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl with the cooked shells, add in the cooked chicken; toss to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with crushed crackers (if using).
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
I didn't use the green pepper, garlic, onion, or basil. but it was still alright. I liked the cracker topping. I'm not a huge fan of mac and cheese so I can't rave too much but my brother-in-law loved it, he ate a third of it by himself.