Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes a nice meatless dinner for four. Feel free to add a crispy bread crumb topping to this dish by pulsing 4 slices of bread in a food processor to form coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and 2 T olive oil. Sprinkle over the pasta before broiling. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 340.19 g medium pasta shells
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 295.73 ml milk
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 0.59 ml freshly grated nutmeg or 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- cayenne, pinch (optional)
- 354.88 ml extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch spinach, thick stems discarded and leaves roughly chopped
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes; whisk in the milk.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, if using, 1 cup Cheddar, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.
- Add the pasta and spinach and toss to combine.
- Heat broiler; transfer the mixture to a 1 1/2 quart broiler-proof baking dish or four 12 ounce ramekins.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar and broil until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.