This makes a nice meatless dinner for four. Feel free to add a crispy bread crumb topping to this dish by pulsing 4 slices of bread in a food processor to form coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and 2 T olive oil. Sprinkle over the pasta before broiling. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces medium pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cayenne, pinch (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch spinach, thick stems discarded and leaves roughly chopped
- 1Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- 3Add the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes; whisk in the milk.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.
- 5Whisk in the mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, if using, 1 cup Cheddar, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.
- 6Add the pasta and spinach and toss to combine.
- 7Heat broiler; transfer the mixture to a 1 1/2 quart broiler-proof baking dish or four 12 ounce ramekins.
- 8Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar and broil until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Shells and Greens
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.0
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 70.2 mg
- Sodium 460.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 28.9 g