Recipe by breezermom
A total comfort food! Definitely not a diet dish. But ooooh sooo good!
Top Review by twissis
Made for the FYC Tag Game & served as a side to accompany ham & a mixed green salad. Potatoes are revered here in Iceland & considered a requirement of every meal. Icelanders are happy even if they are simply boiled, but I prefer more flavor w/o the need to add an excess of butter. These potatoes are indeed very flavorful. Green onions are not always readily available here & that was the case again, so I subbed chopped leek for them & otherwise made the recipe as written. Thx for sharing this recipe, breezer. We liked it a lot. :-)
- 5 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (large cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (6 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potato slices, covered, in boiling water to cover for 5 minutes; drain well.
- Place the potato slices in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the bacon and green onion; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add the minced garlic, bag leaf, salt, celery seed, black pepper, and cheddar cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the reserved potato slices.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned.