Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This calorie-trimmed favorite saves 200 calories per serving. For the creamiest results, be sure to use red potatoes. White potatoes have a drier texture and tend to sock up the sauce during baking. For the cheesiest flavor use reduced-fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese. 114 Calories a Serving! Adapted from the New Dieter’s Cookbook from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- nonstick spray coating
- 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- For sauce, in a small saucepan stir together milk, flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in onion.
- Spray a 1-1/2-quart casserole with nonstick spray coating. Place half of the potatoes in the casserole. Top with half of the sauce and optional parmesan. Repeat layers with remaining potatoes, sauce and parmesan.
- Bake, covered, in a 350°F oven about 65 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring once.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let stand 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If desired, garnish with parsley.
Great! I omitted the salt and included the optional reduced fat Parmesan cheese. It was warm and delicious! Thanks for sharing.
This was very good. I will admit that I used regular milk and cheese so no low cal for me, but it turned out really tasty. I used 2 gloves of garlic, minced instead of the powder, a little extra cheese and the seasoned salt, other than that made as directed. Thanks Cheryl
SOOOOOO good! I made this using full-fat cheese and whole milk, used green onions and some Parmesan cheese beteween the layers, another great recipe Cheryl! thanks Kitten:)