Recipe by Babs7
I adapted this recipe from a Penzeys Spices recipe. The Penzeys recipe had the Cheese as an option but in my book the cheese is a must!
Top Review by Trinkets
Loved this dish! I combined some steps to make it easier and quicker without compromisig any flavor. I used red potatoes that I didn't have to peel. I cubed the potatoes and set aside not covered in water, mixed with the ham. I used 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour, 3.5 cups of FF milk, 2 cups of cheese that I shredded in a combination of Grueyere, cheddar, and smoked gouda. After the white sauce was made, I incorporated 1/2 the cheese to make it a cheese sauce. I also doubled the amount of seasonings (except salt) and cooked for 65 minutes until the potatoes were soft and the dish was bubbling and browning, eliminating the step under the broiler. Instead of layering, I had previously mixed the potataoes and ham together in the bowl so all I did was pour that into the casserole dish and pour the cheese sauce over that, topping with cheese. I know it sounds like I cahnged a lot but all I did was combine some steps, used red potatoes and doubled some seasonigs, and decreasing some of the milk. Loved it and everyone had seconds!
- 2 cups ham, cubed small
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced (about 1/4 thick)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut ham into small cubes and set aside.
- Peel and slice potatoes, put them in a bowl with enough water to cover them.
- Heat the butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft but not brown.
- Add the flour and stir to make a roux.
- Add the milk and stir constantly.
- Once it comes to a gentle boil turn heat down and let the sauce cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionaly.
- Stir in the italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In a greased 2 quart baking dish put a layer of half the potatoes followed by half the ham.
- Pour half the white sauce followed by half a cup of cheese.
- Make another layer of potatoes and ham and pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese and bake for another 20 minute or until the potatoes are tender.