Recipe by getoutofmygalley
I love scalloped and au gratin potatoes. I love bacon. Putting them together makes for some serious comfort food!
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I used 10 medium taters and forgot the green onion LOL I cut the milk back to 2 cups approximatly and it was still quite juicy but perfect. Personally unless the large posted listed are massive the 3 1/2 cups of milk would be to much. I did use the ful amount of cheese stated. This is the first time I have ever semi precooked the potatoes for a scallop. We really enjoyed and will make again but with the stated adjustments. Made for PAC Fall 2009
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until done, but not crispy. Set aside on paper towels to absorb grease and pat dry. Cut into bite sized pieces when cool.
- Wash potatoes. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt to the boiling water, then add the potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes in boiling water (the potatoes will finish cooking in the oven). Set aside and allow to cool. Once you're able to work with the half-cooked potatoes, slice them into 1/2" pieces.
- In saucepan, melt butter. Saute the onion slices until just tender; remove from pan and set aside. Making sure you still have enough butter in your pan, stir in flour and milk, whisking until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring/whisking constantly for 1 minute. Add cheese and continue to stir until cheese melts. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix in bacon.
- In a buttered 9x13 quart casserole, layer potatoes, onion, and cheese mixture. Continue to add layers until about one inch from the top, finishing off the top layer with the cheese mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven, covered, for 45 minutes. Take the cover off of the casserole dish, sprinkle with green onions, and bake for another 5 minutes uncovered. Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt before serving, if desired.