Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
OK, so just give me a spoon and put these potatoes in front of me--cheesy, buttery, creamy...this dish has it all.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese with herbs
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 5 medium baking potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan; whisk in flour.
- Cook 2 or 3 minutes without browning, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add herbed cheese, swiss, cheddar, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
- Layer potatoes and sauce alternately in a buttered 9 inch casserole dish, ending with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Wow! This dish was UNBELIEVABLY GOOD. (Warning - it is VERY rich - in the good way.) Everyone that tried it said that it was the best scalloped/au gratin potato dish that they had ever had. It was pretty easy to make too. I did make a couple of alterations. Specifically, I used about 8 Yukon Gold potatoes instead of baking potatoes as I find them more creamy and delicious. Also, instead of 6 oz of herbed cream cheese I used an 8 ox container of whipped garlic/onion cream cheese. Instead of 2 1/2 cups of whole milk, I used 2 cups of 2 percent low fat and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. I used a very sharp, hard, white Irish cheddar cheese as the cheddar. All in all I'm sure that the recipe would be just as good as written, I just changed these things to my taste and what I had on hand. 6 people have asked me for this recipe - I think that's the highest praise I could give it.
This is EXCELLENT! Made it for Easter Sunday and even the little grandkids loved it! My town did not have the cream cheese with herbs, so I substituted that with 1 envelope of Good Seasons Garlic & Herb salad dressing and 6 oz of Philadelphia cream cheese. I reccomend this dish!
This was simply delicious. Made for a dinner party and I've already given out the recipe three times since.<br/>Fairly easy to make and the outcome is divine.<br/>I did not make any changes except I used Onion and Chive Cream Cheese instead of herbed cream cheese. Not too big of a difference.<br/><br/>Will definitely be making again.