Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Found this recipe and made a few minor changes for my family. Yum!!!
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, 6c
- For sauce: cook onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add milk, all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups cheese into sauce until melted; remove from heat.
- Place half the potatoes in a greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Cover with half the sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 30 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle rest of cheese over top.
- Let stand 5 minutes.