Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are my Favorite scalloped potatoes! They are rich and creamy, as I always use more cheese than called for. I use the fresh chives instead of dried, but you can use either.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese (4 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives or 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 6 medium red potatoes, Sliced 1/4-inch Thick (4 Cups)
- fresh chives (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 2-qt. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil 2 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and chives; stir until cheese is melted.
- Arrange potato slices in prepared baing dish.
- Spoon cheese-chive mixture over potato slices.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 30 minutes more until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh chives.
This recipe was very delicious and easy to prepare. I will make this one of my favorite dinner meals. I sprinkled bread crumbs on top as an extra ingredient. All in all, a very good recipe!!!
This was my first time making scalloped potatoes from scratch and it was easy and very good! I didn't have chives but I used parsely flakes and added garlic salt and onion salt. Very delicous!