Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
--Adopted Recipe-- This is a simple scalloped potato recipe. Everyone has their own way of preparing them, and I guess some people will like it and some won't, but this method is very similar to the way I make them. The original directions gave the crockpot cooking method as the preferred method, with oven baking as an option. I have reversed this option, since I don't do much cooking in the crockpot. I hate to leave any electric appliance on when no one is at home.
Top Review by eciserman
Mmmmm, fantastic! Because I'm on a calorie-reduced diet, I reduced the amount of cheddar cheese to 1 cup and used a low fat cheese. That gave significant calorie savings without sacrificing too much of the flavour. One other suggestion is to top with some browned turkey bacon and serve with a salad to make this a complete meal.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Layer potatoes, flour, milk, and salt and pepper (if desired) in a large casserole dish in several layers, then top with cheeses and paprika.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Optional crockpot method: Spray crock pot with non-stick spray. Layer ingredients in crockpot as directed for oven method. Cook on high about 5 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- All cooking times are approximate. Preparation time allows for peeling and slicing potatoes. Cooking time is for oven method.