Cheesy Savory Monkey Bread
- Mix yeast, sugar, and warm water in a small mixing bowl. set aside for ten minutes to allow yeast to proof (bubbles will form at the surface).
- Mix flour and salt in large mixing bowl. set bowl on mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment (or use a spoon and some elbow grease). with the mixer set on medium speed, slowly add the proofed yeast mixture to the dry ingredients, followed by the milk, egg, and 1 Tbsp melted butter. add 1 Tbsp of the parsley, 1 Tbsp of the onion and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Mix on medium speed just until the dough releases from the side of the bowl, about 6-to-8 minutes. knead dough together lightly with your hands. transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place. allow dough to rise for 25-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, punch dough down and roll into balls, about 1 inch in diameter. mix 4 Tbsp of the melted butter with the remaining parsley, spring onion and gruyere, roll balls in the mixture, and arrange in a lightly greased loaf pans. allow loaves to rise once more in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- Brush loaves again with melted butter. Bake in a 375F oven for 35 minutes, brushing twice throughout the baking with any remaining melted butter. serve monkey bread hot out of the oven.