Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe my mom often made for us and I've added some extra's to it. It is so convenient to have ingredients chopped ahead of time and throw everything together when ready to cook.
- 450 g rotini pasta
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes (do not drain!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 cooked Italian sausages, sliced (mild - hot depending on preference)
- 1 cup mushroom, cut into quarters
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sliced white onion (I prefer sweet/vidalia)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup soda cracker
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, add broccoli to water for last 3 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Toss the next 9 ingredients into the pasta mixture.
- Also add 1 cup of the cheese to mixture and toss well.
- Pour into a casserole dish greased with butter.
- Top the casserole off by sprinkling rest of the cheese, soda crackers and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in oven covered for 50 minutes, then bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- The leftovers freeze well.
- We freeze individual containers to take to work for lunch and pop them in the microwave.
I was looking for freezer meals for a food shower and decided to try this. I figured while making a meal for someone else, I'd make one for my family too. Holy smokes, does this made a ton of food. One batch made two 1.5 L casserole dishes. So when I doubled it, I got four casseroles. We ate one right out of the oven and will freeze the other three!! I used Sargentos new cheddar, tomato, jalepeno blend for the cheese to give it a little kick. Yum.