Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a really easy and kid friendly recipe that I ate a few times while staying with a family that included eight-year-old triplets! It's not really intended to be a substitute for the real risotto but rather an easy lunch dish for a family that is quite versatile and simple to make. Of course the real risotto is great but also a lot more time consuming! You can add almost any kind of cheese to this or try a mixture and the adults can "spice it up" with chili flakes or hot sauce. Instead of peas you could add carrots, spinach or anything else your family likes.
- In a large pot, put the rice and 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then add the peas. Reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered, for 3-4 minutes.
- Take the rice off the heat entirely and just let it sit with the cover on.
- Meanwhile, cut up the sausages (we used scissors to do this easily and quickly) and fry them along with the onions and garlic.
- Once the rice has been sitting for about 10 minutes, check to see if it is cooked and all the water absorbed. If not you can reheat the water to boiling and let sit again for a few minutes -- 10 minutes is plenty for the rice we use but the amount of time or water needed may vary from brand to brand.
- When everything is done, mix it all together along with the cheese and serve.