Recipe by bmcnichol
One of favorite casseroles. Adapted from Quick Cooking.
Top Review by invictus
I have made this recipe several times and it is great potluck food. It makes a lot and I always have plenty of leftovers for the fridge. The only substitution I make is using my own spaghetti sauce rather than one from a jar.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) packageuncooked penne pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and garlic over medium heat until meat and drain fat.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream and onions.
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, layer half of the pasta and sausage mixture.
- Dollop with half of the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with half of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.