Recipe by MarraMamba
Another brian turner breakfast special, this is just wonderful. For those special times when the diet can go hang :) Use button mushrooms for the field mushrooms or portobellos> i like how he takes regular sausages then adds more flavor and specialness to it.
- 10 large even-sized field mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 30 g butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
For the sausage cakes
- 450 g good quality pork sausages
- 115 g cheddar cheese, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 4 free-range eggs, fried according to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6.
- Place the mushrooms on a roasting tray, drizzle with the olive oil and season.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 140C/285F/Gas 4. Cook at this temperature for about one-and-a-half hours. Remove from the oven and drain well. Put to one side. Turn the oven up to 180C/355F/Gas 5.
- Meanwhile, to make the sausage cakes, take the sausage meat out of the sausage skins and put into a bowl. Discard the skins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Mould into four even-sized cakes.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the sausage cakes for a few minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Just before they're finished cooking, return four of the roast mushrooms to the oven to reheat.
- Cut the remaining six roast mushrooms into strips and fry gently in the butter. Season and stir in the chives.
- Spoon the mushroom strips onto the centre of four serving plates. Top with one whole mushroom, a sausage cake and a fried egg.